Sunday 4 November 2012

You learn to fall in love



A few months ago, I had to move away from my home town, Kolkata, and shift to Delhi for my higher education. My initial feeling towards the city was therefore, that of dislike. I could not bring myself to like anything. Everything about it got on my nerve, as I kept comparing Delhi to Kolkata.

It has been almost three and half months now, and I have come to realise that, I am starting to like the city. The last few weekends I have spent roaming around the city, specially the old parts of it, and well, it is unique. Where Kolkata has a very classy, colonial feel to it, Delhi has a very traditional beauty. The thing I love about Delhi is its heritage.

I have been visiting the numerous monuments that are scattered all over the city, India Gate, Hauz Khas, Red Fort, Chandni Chowk, Jamah Masjid, Qutub Minar, Jantar Mantar and a few more places, and frankly they leave me awestruck. It is really hard to explain how beautiful and peaceful they are. A few days back, I got the opportunity to visit Jamah Masjid, and instantly fell in love with it. I have heard people say that when you visit a religious places, they make you feel peaceful, and believe me, that is exactly what I felt as I entered the premises. I could spend hours, just sitting there. Yes, the road leading up to the stairs can be a little intimidating but, it is worth pushing through the sea of people. For my friend it is Qutub Minar. She says the exact same things about the Minar. I like it too, but for me it is Jamah Masjid, who has stolen my heart.

The city is a cramped one, filled with excessive traffic, too much people, confusing roads, and an expensive cost of living, but there are places away from the hustle-bustle of the fast life, where peace rules.

 I have realised that, the initial dislike that I had grown towards the city is now fading from my heart.

There are many corners of the city, which are yet to be explored.

Many more places to see.

I hope this city, slowly but surely, makes me fall in love.     


2 comments:

  1. I think this is a very nice post...right from the heart.
    Keep it up.
    I'm sure that by the end of our 1st year...we would LOVE "dilli" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure looking forward to that :)

    ReplyDelete